MMA Salad: Chickpea + Quinoa
Salads are great in the warmer months. They’re refreshing and if you pack them full of protein they will keep you full. For this MMA nutrition installment, we’ve decided to keep the protein plant-based to cater to all the vegos out there.
Quinoa and Chickpea MMA Salad
- 1/2 cup of uncooked white quinoa
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1 red capsicum, de-seeded and diced
- 1 large handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 large handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup of currants or sultanas
- ¼ cup of lemon juice
- ¼ cup of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- Good pinch of Himalayan salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook your quinoa using the absorption method. Follow the instructions on your packet or place in a saucepan with 1 cup of cold water.
- Place on high heat and bring to the boil, cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and spoon the quinoa into a plate or bowl to cool.
- Mix all other ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Once the quinoa has cooled you can add that too, stiring well.
- Once the salad in combined, coat with lemon and olive oil dressing.
This recipe is by Yummy Goodness!
Yummy Goodness opened its first store in Nundah at the beginning of August 2016. Yummy Goodness serves delicious, healthy and clean eats and drinks that are free from gluten, dairy and cane sugar. They offer amazing acai bowls, smoothies, cold pressed juices, Merlo coffee, fresh salads and an assortment of homemade clean treats, with lots of raw, vegan, vegetarian and Paleo options. Yummy Goodness aims to provide yummy foods your body will love so you can love food and love life.
Hayley Abell is the founder of Yummy Goodness and loves sharing her recipes to make healthy eating and living easier for everyone.
Yummy Goodness is located at Shop 9, Circa One, 1 Aspinall Street, Nundah.
Opening hours: Monday to Saturday from 6am to 2pm; Sunday from 7am to 1pm.
Nutrition Disclaimer: This recipe is for the general population. It does not cater for any allergies, medical conditions or specific food intolerance.